DRESS & GROOMING
The district’s dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, prevent disruption, and minimize safety hazards. Students and parents may determine a student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the following:
- Hair is to be neat, well-groomed, and styled in such a manner that will not be detrimental to the health or safety of the individual or others. Designs cut into hair, Mohawks, and dyed or streaked hair of unnatural color is not allowed. Earrings are not acceptable for male students. No visible body piercings (other than earrings for girls) are allowed and an tattoos on students must be covered and not visible.
- Boys are to be clean shaven.
- Clothing with inappropriate writing or designs is not t be worn. No writing, advertising, pictures, or logos will be permitted that name, symbolize, or refer directly or indirectly to alcoholic beverages, tobacco, Satan, sex or drugs. Dismemberment or other death depicting items are not allowed. No obscene, racial or suggestive words, phrases, gestures, or sentences will be allowed on any apparel or any of the same written on the body (arms, hands, etc.) that would disrupt the normal operation of school.
- Pants and shorts will be worn at natural waistline. Sagging shorts or pants will not be permitted. Shirts of excessive length (longer than fingertip length when are at rest) will be tucked in. Shorts and dresses should be of modest length and in good taste. Shorts must be hemmed. Athletic shorts like the type worn in P.E. and athletics are not permitted in the academic building.
- Some type of footwear or shoes must be worn at all times. House shoes are not permitted. Sandals must have a strap or fastener around the ankle/back of the foot, so that the sandal does not come off of the foot for personal safety reasons. Slides and flip-flops, etc., are not allowed.
- Clothing should cover undergarments at all times. All shirts and blouses should be buttoned in a manner that maintains the modesty of the individual. Mini-skirts and low-cut tops will not be permitted. Students must wear a shirt that extends below the lowest portion of their bottom if they are wearing tights, yoga pants, leggings, etc.
- Outdoor head covers (caps, etc.) should not be worn in the building during school hours
- Logos, colors or any other symbol of possible gang involvement will not be permitted.
- Jeans, slacks, or shorts must not have slits, holes or distressed areas that are not the result of normal wear.
- The following are not considered appropriate to wear:
- Muscle shirts or underwear-type tank tops. Boys may not wear sleeveless shirts.
- Bare midriffs or exposed navels
- Fishnet-type shirts, dresses or leg coverings
- Items of see-through material without a translucent item of clothing underneath
- Chains, wallet chains, etc.
If the principal determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student may be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until the problem is corrected, or until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school. Repeated offenses may result in more serious disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.